Book Your Free Consultation Today!

Home > > Types of Visas > > Parivaar Family Visas > > Relative Visa > > 116 (Carer) Visa
Types of Visas
116 (Carer) Visa   

This visa facilitates individuals to travel to Australia for the purpose of caring for their relatives who require assistance due to chronic or lifelong medical conditions. Subclasses 116 and 836 differ in terms of whether the applicant is inside or outside Australia when applying and when the visa is granted. Subclass 116 (Carer) visa is applied for offshore.

Key Features:

  • Allows the applicant to establish indefinite residency in Australia.
  • Permits the applicant to engage in work and study within Australia.
  • Provides access to Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare.
  • Enables the applicant to sponsor their relatives for migration to Australia.
  • Allows travel to and from Australia for a period of 5 years.
  • Offers the option to apply for Australian citizenship, subject to meeting eligibility criteria.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • The applicant must be outside Australia both when applying and when the decision is made.
  • The applicant must be sponsored by their relative or their relative’s partner for the initial 2 years in Australia.
  • The applicant should provide care for a relative or a member of their relative’s family living with them, who lacks reasonable access to care options in Australia.

Who Can Be the Sponsor?

The sponsor (family member) or their spouse must have a long-term or permanent medical condition necessitating substantial continuous care and support.

The sponsor should meet the following criteria:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or qualifying New Zealander.

The sponsor must meet the following standards:

  • Not able to receive required care from another Australian source, such as a relative, Australian welfare, hospital nursing, or community service.
  • Have undergone evaluation by Bupa Medical Visa Services or be in the process of scheduling an evaluation to obtain a medical certificate stating that the sponsor or sponsor’s partner has a medical condition that:
    • Impairs body, mind, or senses.
    • Will necessitate assistance with practical everyday matters for a minimum of two years.
    • Have committed to providing lodging and support to the applicant and their family members for the initial two years of their residence in Australia.